Thursday, September 27, 2012

Bruce Lee's Wisdom


Couldn't help but share this once I saw it. Bruce certainly lived a life of discipline, and as such he was very successful in what he pursued.  Especially like his thoughts on "time" and "stiffest tree."  I will readily admit that these are two areas in which I struggle greatly.
 
First, time is what life is made of, so if you love it don't waste it.  It's more than likely that I talk so much on this particular topic because it is one that not only plagues our society, but one that affects me deeply as well.  How easy is it to take a quick break, or sit down to rest for a minute, and before you know it an hour or two or more has passed by?  I know it's a vice of mine, and one that I strive to correct each day.  How many opportunities have passed me by because I was too busy "wasting" my time?  If in fact I love life, how am I using my time to make the most of it?
 
Second thought is so good I'll restate it:
 
Notice that the stiffest tree is most easily cracked, while the bamboo or willow survives by bending with the wind.
 
How often do we insist that something must be done a certain way (more times than not "our way") or it's wrong?  Too many times in my life (certainly more than I care to admit) I've been too busy focused on whether I was right to see the truth and beauty I was missing in opening my mind to something different.  The only way to grow and progress is through trials and overcoming challenges as we face them; as such if we aren't able to bend and adjust as the willows or bamboo shafts in the wind then we will break and shatter like a piece of stiff wood.
 
Humility is the key, and most likely why I struggle so much with this concept.  Recognizing that we don't know everything, that we can't do everything alone and that there is a higher power at work in our lives enables us to bend rather than break. Only then can we truly state with sincerity Bruce's other gem: To hell with circumstances; I create opportunities. Clean and center your inner self, and from there the world is yours for the taking. Andy got right to the point in the Shawshank Redemption, "Get busy living, or get busy dying!"
 
Calling all Lions!!

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome, thank you. It also is interesting to see how easily we can interpret things differently. When I read about the stiffness of the tree I thought it was referring to learning to 'roll with the punches' and that we need to learn to laugh in life. I love Elder Wirthlin's famous talk "Come What May and Love it!" as he illustrates the value of learning to laugh through life as opposed to always letting it upset us.

    I agree with your angle completely and love the depth that truth brings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your angle is certainly a valid one as well, and definitely something I considered. In fact, that's another difficult thing for me at times as I'm sure I'm known more for being "too" serious at times. For purposes of the post I took it the other direction, but definitely like your interpretation as well. Learning to dance in the rain instead of waiting for it to pass is certainly a necessary skill to have and perfect in life if we're to find happiness.

    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete